- I move quite a lot when I'm on stage. I like to walk around, move towards the audience.
- I use a ton of gestures to enhance my speech.
- I use my voice a lot. I believe in something and want others to share that feeling.
- If the event is located in my current location (Amsterdam, NL) or remote I don't expect you to pay for my travel expenses.
- I expect you to pay for the travel expenses if it's an international event. Either you purchase it or I can reimburse it afterwards.
- I expect you to pay for the lodging if it's an international event. Either you purchase it or I can reimburse it afterwards.
- If I speak at your event I expect to also have a ticket to the full conference.
- I like to book my own travel.
- I own and retain the rights to official recordings of my presentation and grant you license to use, modify, and redistribute them. (I want to publish a copy of the talk on my own Youtube channel)
- I will not use branded content like branded templates or slides designed for the event.
- I usually have a ton of images and diagrams to make concepts more clear. I take time to design my slides.
- I try to describe the visuals that are in the presentation.
- I personally choose to have many slides with a small amounts on each. I like the fast-paced flow.
- It's ok to use my resources (photography, bio) on social media leading up to the event.
- No censorship.
Setup and AV
- Lapel or lavalier preferred. Don't make me hold a microphone, please.
- Lectern (or table) preferred.
- Don't point a spotlight in my face, please.
- Timer viewable from the stage is preferred.
- Confidence monitor preferred. I need to be able to see my slides and notes.
- USB-C or HDMI preferred. I'll usually have adapters.
- A wall socket preferred. For charging my computer.
- A Wi-Fi connection is preferred, although most of my slides also work offline.
- Presenting from my own laptop and settings is preferred.
- I will not create my slides in other programs then I'm currently using myself (keynote).
- I'm not a huge fan of doing Q&A because of reduced hearing unless there is a mic in the room.
- If a moderator asks the questions that's usually OK.
- Provide open captioning for the audience (CART).
- Provide transcripts of the talk (I'll usually have one for a talk I've given before).
- Ensure all official event venues are accessible to people with mobility issues, including people who use wheelchairs. This includes the stage and social gatherings around the event.
- Reserve some seating in the front rows for people with vision impairments.
- Run a financial aid, scholarship, opportunity grant, or similar program for attendees.
- If providing or otherwise facilitating meals, be responsive to people with dietary restrictions.
- If requested, I'll provide material ahead of time to participants.
- No all white male panels.
- Gender parity with men, women, and nonbinary people.
- Include people with disabilities, people of color, and LGBTQIA+ people.
- Offer scholarschip programs or discounted tickets for students.
- I don't like it if the MC makes jokes about speakers in the introduction.
- Attendee data/information should not be sold, especially not to conference sponsors.
- Attendees should have the option to not be included in promotion material. (excluded from video or photography)
- It's nice to have a speaker room, doesn't have to be anything fancy but a nice quit room with seating and some extra food is very welcome
- I have no dietary restrictions. I do often look for veggie options or meat replacements.
- I've been given speaker gifts but sometimes I can't take them with me (cannot transport, don't have enough space in my bag or gifts aren't allowed on the plan)
- Life can be messy and I reserve the right to withdraw from your conference. I always try to do it well in advance and notify you. I try to find a replacement speaker.
- If this happens, I will no longer want to be associated with your event.
- It will be my last resort.
- Generall ballpark around 2-4 your commercial ticket price for profit and private talks.
- Usually 3-5 the ticket price if I have to prepare a completely new talk for your event.
- I'll likely waive my fee and donate my time for educational (guest-lectures), non-profit (community events) and low-cost conferences (€50 ticket prices).
The riders from Tatiana Mac and Josh Simmons helped me shape mine, thanks!