- Follow the conference, event or meet-up on social to receive updates.
- Bring your own water bottle. You don't want to pour glasses from a jug.
At the conference
- Be on time and let organizers know you've arrived. Ask for final bits of information.
- Remove the lanyard or tuck it away in your pocket.
- Put your smartphone in your backpack (airplane mode), don't have it in your pocket.
- Get your computer ready to go
- Turn off the speakers
- Turn off notifications
- Disable sleep mode
- Check if audio and video works
Before the talk
- Wait off-stage (out of view) instead of being on the stage when somebody introduces you.
- Thank the MC for the introduction, have some human-interaction before speaking.
After the talk
- On the final slide, thank the audience for their time and share the url to the slides.
- Let the audience know they can approach you during breaks to ask questions.
- Pack up your things and make room for the next speaker.
- Get off stage quickly and confidently.
- Stay silent for a bit after the talk is finished, to make sure the mic is really off.
- Share the slides on social media (twitter)
- Thank everyone involved, all the volunteers, AV teams etc.
- I've been given speaker gifts but sometimes I can't take them with me (cannot transport, don't have enough space in my bag or gifts aren't allowed on the plan)
This speaker checklist from Harry (CSSWizardry) helped me shape mine, thanks!